After two years of study and drafting, first by the constitution and by-laws committee, then by a special “Committee of 31” representatives of all districts, a draft of the Constitution and By-laws was adopted at the 1922 Los Angeles Convention, putting the Association on a solid organizational basis.
In another Convention action, the name of the Association was changed to “Rotary International” (國際扶輪).
The next several years was a period of continued growth, adjustment, and refinement of administrative procedures, the development and expansion of activities – and some “growing pains”. Rapid extension to areas where there were few Rotary clubs made communication difficult. A series of regional conferences was initiated: in Hawaii in 1926 for clubs in countries bordering the Pacific Ocean; in Tokyo, Japan, in 1928; in Sydney, Australia, in 1930, and later also in Manila, The Philippines, in 1935.
Organization of clubs in countries whose language was other than English created the need for translation of Rotary literature. With volunteer help, translations were made in Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, and Yugoslav.
In 1927, Danish Rotarian Sven Knudsen initiated a youth exchange project between Denmark and the United States. The idea caught on quickly. That was the seed of today’s Youth Exchange program.
In 1928, the Convention empowered, authorized, and directed the board to acquire a site or building in Chicago – for a headquarters building owned by Rotary International – provided it would not necessitate an increase in dues or a special assessment. But it would be more than 25 years before Rotary International did indeed have its own headquarters building – in Evanston, Illinois, U.S.A.
In 1929, the erstwhile endowment fund was renamed “The Rotary Foundation” and provision for the operation and administration included in the constitutional documents. In 1930, the charitable Rotary Foundation awarded its first humanitarian grant of US$500 to the International Society for Crippled Children, which became “Easter Seals”.